Focus and Scope
The Colombian Applied Linguistics Journal (CALJ) is a peer-reviewed journal published in Bogotá, Colombia by the Universidad Distrital Francisco José de Caldas for a global audience of professionals in education interested in research and teaching issues in the field of Applied Linguistics for the Teaching of English. It disseminates partial or final results of research in the field of language teaching.
The CALJ has published articles by authors from Latin American countries, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, the United States, Canada and the Middle East. Therefore, we have a global readership that is permanently reported in Google Analytics.
Currently, the journal is indexed in Redalyc, SciELO, Latindex, ERA, MLA and Publindex-Colombia. It is listed in the directories Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory, EBSCO Publishing, DOAJ, SHERPA/RoMEO.
Peer Review Process
The steps that are regularly followed in the process of publishing a manuscript include:
- Receipt of the article through Open Journal Systems (OJS) and review of the fulfillment of author guidelines
- Blind evaluation of abstracts and first evaluation by members of the editorial committee to define whether the article continues in the evaluation process and whether it is suitable for reviewer assignment
- Sending the manuscript to reviewers: All reviewers are given a period of three weeks for the first evaluation, two weeks for the second evaluation and one week for the third evaluation onward
- Reception of evaluations through OJS and communication with the author of the evaluation results (if authors are asked for major modifications, they are given three weeks to make the corrections; if they are requested to make minor modifications, the period is two weeks)
- Once an article is approved for publication, authors are notified. Next, the document enters the proofreading and layout stages
- In most cases, from the moment a manuscript is received to the moment the authors are informed about its acceptance or rejection, the process can take from six to eight months. Finally, the process of evaluation, revision, acceptance, and preparation for publication generally takes a year
Twice a year.
Open Access Policy
As the open-access policy contributes to the exchange of global knowledge, this journal provides immediate free access to all of its content. Readers from all around the world can read and download every article for free. In addition, authors do not have to pay any fee in order to publish in the journal.
Article-processing and submission charge
The journal is interested in the exchange of global knowledge. The process and submission of the manuscript are free of charge. The manuscript is submitted, evaluated, proofread and published without any cost.
Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Attribution: Licensees may copy, distribute, display and perform the work and make derivative works and remixes based on it only if they give the author or licensor the credits in the manner specified by these.
NonCommercial: Licensees may copy, distribute, display, and perform the work and make derivative works and remixes based on it only for non-commercial purposes.
NoDerivatives: Licensees may copy, distribute, display and perform only verbatim copies of the work, not derivative works and remixes based on it.
Best practices statement and ethical standards
The journal takes into account the procedures and ethical standards by Cambridge University Press (https://www.cambridge.org/core/about/ethical-standards), the guidelines for ethical behavior in scientific publications by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) (https://publicationethics.org/guidance/Guidelines), by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICJME) (http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/) and by the World Association of Medical Editors (WAME) (http://www.wame.org/policies).
The CALJ was created in 1998 in the Master’s Program in Applied Linguistics to TEFL at the Universidad Distrital Francisco José de Caldas in Bogotá, Colombia. Its initial purpose was to publish contributions from faculty and graduate students of the different ELT programs in Bogotá and Colombia. Thus, the journal had a local and national circulation. In 2000, the editor and the members of the research group LECTOESCRINAUTAS committed themselves to make the journal known globally. In 2004, the editor invited national and international scholars to be part of the editorial committee and editorial review board to contribute to making the publication a rich and rigorous scholarly publication. The CALJ was listed in international indexes such as the Educational Research Abstracts (ERA) and Modern Language Association Bibliography (MLA). In 2009, Publindex, the national index, ranked the CALJ as a top journal among many in the field nationally.
Currently, the journal is indexed in Redalyc, SciELO, Latindex, ERA, MLA, and Publindex-Colombia. It is listed in the directories Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory, EBSCO Publishing, DOAJ, SHERPA/RoMEO.
The journal has also moved from being a print-based version in 1998. It had a local, regional and national circulation, to a digital text since 2009 with the Open Journal System and open access for all readers globally. We have increased the publication frequency of CALJ to two issues a year.
In April 2018, we celebrated 20 years of publication of the CALJ as a peer-reviewed journal. In its 20 years, we can report contributions from nearly 400 authors from different countries in 29 volumes. We count on the professional support that evaluators from 28 countries provide to our academic publication. They have contributed to maintaining the excellent quality and periodicity of our publication.